Saturday, October 23, 2010

Others Just Don't Get It

To the average person you probably don't think to much about food or drinks. It's so easy to go anywhere and not worry. Even to a parent with a child without food allergies. You can enjoy yourself and feel relaxed, well most of the time.  What I am trying to say is this.

Last night we went to my nephew's first birthday party. A happy occasion, with lots of presents, cake and ice cream. I always get alittle nervous with family functions now that Tinleigh is walking. She always on the go and wants to be with the older kids.

We didn't even make it to cake time without Tinleigh finding someones sippy of milk. I was sitting right there beside her I turned for just a second talking to someone and BAM she finds a cup out of no where. I swiped her up and gave her medicine hoping she didn't get very much. She seemed to do fine while we were there.

I'm not looking for sympathy. I looking for family members to be more cautious. I can't do it alone. This is exactly the reason I don't let anyone babysit her. They don't get that it's really a big deal. A family member says, "Oh, she drank some milk." Like it's no big deal. This person knows about her allergies.

The point I am trying to get across is, you have to work harder as a parent. You have to be more cautious! Especially when you have a little one that doesn't know what her or she can eat or drink. Do you ask other parents to keep theirs kids drinks up on a table? I mean I have Ainsleigh do this, but is it rude to ask others? Would you be offended if I went to your house and ask you to keep your kids drinks where Tinleigh couldn't reach them? (Sorry if this post is all over the place)

1 comment:

  1. I found your blog through my friends--Your blog name caught my eye because we have kids who are intolerant to dairy, gluten, and eggs. I read your post and thought wow someone out there is stressing like me. I totally feel your frustration. No one seems to get the impact these foods have on people who are allergic or intolerant to them.

    **Sorry my blog isnt up to date I write for a living so my blog always falls by the wayside**

    ReplyDelete